HUDS.TF

Hello There, Guest!

1 2 >
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The first ever huds.tf contest!
That's right, in a mostly pathetic attempt to gain the huds.tf forums a little more popularity in terms of actual discussion, we're hosting our very own huds.tf development contest!

So, let's go through what it is we're hosting exactly, the rules and the prizes you can win!

IN-GAME UI DEVELOPMENT CONTEST
So, what are the specifics of this contest?

All you have to do is design and implement a new in-game UI for Team Fortress 2. It's probably the easiest thing to design, and is the basis for many of the popular HUDs on the site. It's the thing on a custom HUD you spend the most time looking at. Your health. Your ammo. Your name on the killfeed being dominated by that mini-sentry. You know it. Here's what it looks like in the default HUD:
[Image: hudui.png]
Couldn't be an easier to understand contest. Unless the contest was just "post hello in this thread and win a thing". Which this contest is not.

Right, let's talk prizes! Also, how the winner is chosen and how to make a successful submission.
So now you've probably read the little introduction above, (or maybe you skipped straight here first), let's go through how to submit, how to vote and how to win.

"What's up for grabs, omnibombulator? How do I even win? Explain yourself!"
Submission to this contest is absolutely free, let's clear that up first. So, you'll be happy to know that by submitting a HUD, you're in for the chance of winning 15 keys for First Place. 15 entire keys! Woah there! Second Place gets 10 keys and Third Place gets you 5 keys. If you want to win big, put some effort in!

The winner is decided by the community as a whole. At the end of the submission deadline (check below), all the submitted HUDs will be thrown into a poll for the community to vote on. It's down to your awesome design or how many friends you have that will help you win this contest!

"Why should the community vote? What do they get out of it?"
Here's the deal: by voting, you're automatically thrown into a raffle to win 5 keys. Let me repeat that: you get the chance to win 5 keys for simply voting for your favorite submission. One voter will be chosen at random, and that voter takes it all! So it's vital that you vote.

You don't even have to vote for the eventual winner to win the voting prize either. All voters will be put into the raffle, regardless of the outcome.

"Okay, sounds good! How do I submit a HUD?"
It's easy enough! Just make a thread in the In-Game UI Development Contest forum and name the thread your HUD name. Check out the Example Submission Thread as your guideline to how your thread should look. You should also take note of the submission rules below on how your HUD should be uploaded and submitted.

Your submission doesn't even need to be finished before creating your submission thread, so the thread is vital to your success! The community can have an early look at your progress and give you positive feedback on what you're creating! Use this feedback to win the adoration of your TF2 peers, or ignore it completely and risk losing!

Once your submission is completed, change the Thread Prefix to Completed. Your submission will automatically be valid for the voting stages, as long as your submission follows all the rules listed below.

SUBMISSIONS ARE OPEN UNTIL 5/31/2015 (May 31st) 6/7/2015 (June 7th) AT 11:59pm GREENWICH MEAN TIME. GET TO WORK!
Extended by 1 week due to huds.tf having host issues
Voting stage will be active on 6/7/2015 (June 7th) at 11:59pm, one week after the submission cut off date.
RULES
There's not many rules to this contest, so there's not much you can get wrong. Unless you're that stupid.

Submissions:

1) All submissions must work in game.
You must submit all the files used and edited in your submission. No Photoshop mock-ups will be accepted.
Additionally, you must consider different screen resolutions in your HUD submission. If you HUD does not work on 4:3 resolutions, you must state so in your submission.

2) All submissions must have all mandatory HUD files edited.
The mandatory files as listed in the post below must be edited in some form or another. We don't want anything looking too much like the stock HUD, so move stuff around.

3) Submissions must be uploaded using Github only.
It's just easier this way. Also, you can choose to only upload the files you edited, rather than an entire HUD, if you so wish.
If you're not sure how to upload to Github, click here.

4) All submissions must be new creations, started from scratch using the base HUD.
This is more trust based than anything else, but try and start your submission anew. Don't submit anything you've been working on for months, you've had time to hone your craft with the design. Also, you must use the base HUD as your starting point. No using yahud and making another yahud clone.

5) You are allowed to collaborate with other members of the community.
You can create a HUD with your friends if you wish, and submit it together. This means one of you could have designed it in Photoshop, and the other made it a reality. However, prizes will be split between the collaborators, so you won't win 15 keys each if you happen to win.

6) Your submission must work in sv_pure servers.
For the ease of use, your submission must not use anything that the sv_pure system would block or break, like custom health crosses.

7) Your submission must not include any unnecessary files, especially including any malicious files or software.
Keep the files in your HUD relevant to what the HUD needs. If you are found to have uploaded any useless files that the HUD does not need in order to work, your HUD will be void. Additionally, if any malicious files or software is added to your submission, your submission will be void, you will be banned from huds.tf and any relevant accounts to you will be reported to various Steam Communities and GitHub (under Section G11 of the GitHub Terms of Service).

Votes:

1) You CAN vote on your own HUD.
Voting on your own HUD is allowed. However, your participation in the vote will not render you viable to win the voting raffle.

2) You cannot use Alternate Steam Accounts to vote on your HUD.
Although this will be hard to manage, we highly discourage this activity. We can check Alternate Accounts on our back end, so if we feel that suspicious activity is in play, we will do our checks. If you are found to have voted on your own HUD using an Alternate Account, your submission will be considered null and you will be banned from the huds.tf forums.

3) You are free to use other sites, such as Reddit, TFTV, etc. to promote your HUD for votes.
You can use external sources to let users know your HUD is in the voting stage and that you would appreciate votes. It's best to avoid begging in these instances.

4) You cannot offer voters an incentive, such as items or money, to vote.
Bribing other members of the community, even with false promises, to vote for your HUD is not allowed. This covers anything that may gain voters a small prize for voting for your HUD.
MANDATORY HUD ELEMENTS
Download the base HUD files here!
So, what are the elements you'll need to be editing?

HUD Layout
This is one of the main files for positioning HUD elements around the screen. Take advantage of this, especially for some of the files listed below.
Files to look for:
- scripts/hudlayout.res

Health
You need health to survive. So does everyone else who uses your HUD.
Files to look for:
resource/ui/hudplayerhealth.res

Ammo
Ammo helps you kill things with bullets and rockets. Unless you're playing Demoknight.
Files to look for:
- resource/ui/hudammoweapons.res
- scripts/hudlayout.res > HudWeaponAmmo

Player Model
You can see what class you are in the corner. Or in the center of the screen. Why would it be there?
Files to look for:
- resource/ui/hudplayerclass.res

Killfeed
Look! You killed that guy! A different guy killed you! Ragequit!
Files to look for:
- scripts/hudlayout.res > HudDeathNotice

Item Meters
Buff Banner, Soda Popper, Cow Mangler, Sandvich and so on. They all have meters.
Files to look for:
- resource/ui/huditemeffectmeter.res
- resource/ui/huditemeffectmeter_cleaver.res
- resource/ui/huditemeffectmeter_particlecannon.res
- resource/ui/huditemeffectmeter_pomson.res
- resource/ui/huditemeffectmeter_raygun.res
- resource/ui/huditemeffectmeter_scout.res
- resource/ui/huditemeffectmeter_sniperfocus.res
- resource/ui/huditemeffectmeter_sodapopper.res
- resource/ui/huditemeffectmeter_spyknife.res
- resource/ui/hudbowcharge.res
- scripts/hudlayout.res > HudItemEffectMeter
- scripts/hudlayout.res > HudBowCharge

Demoman Charge Meters
Different to Item Meters. Covers Loose Cannon, Stickies and Shield Charges.
Files to look for:
- resource/ui/huddemomancharge.res
- resource/ui/huddemomanpipes.res
- scripts/hudlayout.res > HudDemomanCharge
- scripts/hudlayout.res > HudDemomanPipes

Medic Charge Meter
I am fully charged! Now don't drop it. Covers all the Medi Guns.
Files to look for:
- resource/ui/hudmediccharge.res
- scripts/hudlayout.res > HudMedicCharge

Crit/Kill/Head Counters
Weapons such as the Diamondback, Manmelter, Airstrike, Eyelander and the Bazaar Bargain have special values to dictate how well you're doing with that weapon.
Files to look for:
- resource/ui/huditemeffectmeter_demoman.res
- resource/ui/huditemeffectmeter_engineer.res
- resource/ui/huditemeffectmeter_sniper.res
- resource/ui/huditemeffectmeter_spy.res

Engineer Metal Value
Use this to build mini-sentries. And then uninstall the game.
Files to look for:
- resource/ui/hudaccountpanel.res
- scripts/hudlayout.res > CHudAccountPanel

Killstreak Counter
Show the world how good you are! Valve pubs are hard!
Files to look for:
- resource/ui/huditemeffectmeter_killstreak.res

OPTIONAL HUD ELEMENTS
These don't need to be edited in order for your submission to be accepted.

Custom Fonts
Custom Fonts can define a HUD's success. Although not mandatory, consider using them to make your HUD stand out from the rest. Check out this guide on implementing Custom Fonts into your submission.

Damage Numbers - resource/ui/huddamageaccount.res, scripts/hudlayout.res > CDamageAccountPanel

Health/Metal Pick Up Numbers - resource/ui/hudhealthaccount.res, scripts/hudlayout.res > CHealthAccountPanel, hudaccountpanel.res.res, scripts/hudlayout.res > CHudAccountPanel

Killstreak Notice - resource/ui/hudkillstreaknotice.res

Engineer Build Status - resource/ui/hud_obj_dispenser.res, resource/ui/hud_obj_sapper.res, resource/ui/hud_obj_sentrygun.res, resource/ui/hud_obj_tele.res, resource/ui/hud_ojb_tele_entrance.res, resource/ui/hud_obj_tele_exit.res

Target ID - resource/ui/targetid.res, resource/ui/spectatorguihealth.res, scripts/hudlayout.res

Custom Crosshairs - scripts/hudlayout.res

Round Timers, Capture Points, Payload Cart Status, etc. - there are too many files for these, so don't touch them unless you really want to.
HUD RESOURCES
You can download the base HUD files here!

Check out the Guides Forum, and specifically the External Guides thread for as many resources as we have currently gathered.

You should also use the Development Forum to ask any questions about anything you're stuck with.

OTHER INFORMATION + FAQ

"Can I submit more than one HUD?"
I'm afraid not, friend. We don't want you to have a complete monopoly over the submissions, it doesn't matter whether or not they're all fantastic/terrible.

"What are the limits on distributing paid assets, such as fonts?"
Using and distributing paid assets is completely your responsibility and at your own discretion. Although we advise against using paid assets and redistributing them for free, we cannot stop you, and it will not hinder the legitimacy of your submission.

"I made a submission and it got to the voting stage, so I obviously voted for my own HUD. Even if I don't win the contest, do I still have a chance to win the voting prize?"
Unfortunately not. You're free to vote on your own submission, but if you have made a submission, your entry to the voting prize raffle will not be counted.

Feel free to post any questions you have about the contest in this thread or by sending me a Private Message on the forums.
first post not made by omni

:^)
Looks fun!
Will be sure to attempt an entry Smile
A heads up to anyone starting a new HUD: some files are missing from tf2basehud git. It's understandable since they were missing whenever I extracted the vpk's, although I used vpk_linux32 instead of GCFScape if that could make any difference.

Some of the missing files:
resource/ui/basechat.res (important for repositioning chat)
resource/ui/econ/confirmdialog.res
resource/ui/econ/messagedialogbox.res

Not quite sure why they're missing, perhaps they were supposed to be deprecated in favor of other files? They still function properly and as far as I'm aware are still necessary. There might be more missing files.
(01-05-2015, 09:10 AM)Ælai Wrote: A heads up to anyone starting a new HUD: some files are missing from tf2basehud git. It's understandable since they were missing whenever I extracted the vpk's, although I used vpk_linux32 instead of GCFScape if that could make any difference.

Some of the missing files:
resource/ui/basechat.res (important for repositioning chat)
resource/ui/econ/confirmdialog.res
resource/ui/econ/messagedialogbox.res

Not quite sure why they're missing, perhaps they were supposed to be deprecated in favor of other files? They still function properly and as far as I'm aware are still necessary. There might be more missing files.

Those files don't extract with GCFScape. They're actually loose inside the Team Fortress 2\hl2\resource\ui folder, so they need to be brought in from that folder into your custom folder if you wish to ever use them.
(01-05-2015, 05:15 PM)omnibombulator Wrote: Those files don't extract with GCFScape. They're actually loose inside the Team Fortress 2\hl2\resource\ui folder, so they need to be brought in from that folder into your custom folder if you wish to ever use them.

Good to know. I've never bothered looking from them since I have an old backup.
1 2 >

Copyright © 2014 - 2019 huds.tf | Site by omnibombulator | Powered by MyBB, © 2002 - 2019 MyBB Group and Steam.